Wednesday 15 August 2012

The Funeral


I don't know what I expected the funeral to be like, but it certainly didn't end up the way I expected. I thought seeing the coffin & seeing it lowered into the ground may have been hard, but it wasn't. I was expecting to have to explain things to Joshua, but he didn't ask. He just quietly took things in & played with his cousins. He didn't ask what the coffin was or what was in it. He was interested to look down after the coffin had been put in the ground, but he didn't ask why.

It was a very peaceful day & the weather was perfect. This was something I had been praying for. I wanted it to be a sunny day, not rainy & dreary. One thing both Tom & I had said was that we wanted the day to be a celebration of her life, not a mourning of her death. In holding with this I placed the bears she had had with her while in hospital in front of the coffin.

We held a short service at a old, quaint little chapel in Varde & then proceded out to Janderup Cemetry where we sang a hymn & the coffin was lowered in the ground. Then all  were invited back to our house for a light lunch.

It seems our car was a little overwhelmed with the day & when we hopped in it to drive from the chapel to the cemetry it just would not start. So we quickly scrambled into a couple of other cars where there was place.

No comments:

Post a Comment